From 1942, Bushy Park became the site of a large U.S. base called Camp Griffiss,
headquarters to a number of the Allied departments. General Dwight Eisenhower
was averse to working in the centre of London during the Second World War.
He decided instead to make Bushy Park the Supreme Headquarters Allied
Expeditionary Force (SHAEF) centre for planning
Operation Overlord, the 1944 D-Day.
(Royal Parks History, Bushy Park [U.K. Gov.])
"Memories of Wartime" by Mary G. Bateman
("..A short while later our Headquarters moved to a camp in Bushy Park near to Hampton Court Palace..")
In 1945 Bushy Park was converted into SHAEF (Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Forces)
which controlled the Normandy invasion; now commemorated by a small plaque at the north end.
- Teddington Historical Events, 1811-2000 (SHAEF: Camp Griffiss, Bushy Park, Teddington; 1942)
- Hampton Court, a brief history
(About.com's Go UK Royal Houses, Part 3)
- Tourist Photos of Bushy Park nearby to
Hampton Court (from Peter Evans' web page)
- The Buckingham Palace Ley Line - Bushy Park
with Aerial Photo Map
- June 1998 Local Residents Defend the old Ministry of Defense site
in Bushy Park, Surrey, England (photos of mysterious dome building)
Bushy Park & the Longford River, how to get there
- Bushy Park & the Longford River (a brief history, Surrey Tourism)
- Hamptons and Teddington (a brief history)
- Hampton Court GPS location
- Tourist Day Guide
- Hampton Town, Bushy Park, Hampton Court Palace visitors info
- Map of London's Royal Parks w/B.P.
- In July 1943 the 1st battalion of WACs arrived in London...
- WWII de-classified SHAEF documents re occupation of Germany
Letter from T/Sgt Forrest Perkins to the University of Colorado Condon Committee re Lakenheath RAF Station England 1956 (link source: JR Percy, 30Jul06)
- "On 24 April 1942, Major General Carl Spaatz arrived in England.
He established the Headquarters of the 8th Air Force at Bushy Park, 15 miles WSW of London center."
- "..American soldiers stationed at General Eisenhower's headquarters in Bushy Park situated near Twickenham
on the western suburbs of London, and close to Hampton Court.."
- "..When SHAEF was set up in Bushy Park, Teddington, near the USAAF Centre known
as Widewing, .."